Roulette is probably one of the coolest games that you’ll ever come across with when you play in a casino, online or offline. It has that lasting appeal to both first-time players and seasoned gamblers. The game itself has been around for ages and thus it shouldn’t come as a big surprise if you could hear interesting stories or fun facts about it.
Below is a list detailing more roulette facts and trivias that you might not have known yet or have missed out. Sound off in the comments if you want something to be added. Otherwise, enjoy!
- The ball (which is called a “pill”) used in a live online casino roulette game or in a land-based casino is made of white or ivory delrin material. The pill comes in various sizes depending on the wheel where it is used. The smallest is 3/8 inch in diameter and is paired to a 12-inch wheel. The biggest is ¾ inch diameter which is being used in roulette wheels measuring 27 in. to 32 inches.
- The transparent object used by croupiers to mark the winning number on the roulette betting layout is called the “dolly.” It typically measures around 70mm tall and 30mm in diameter. It is made of clear acrylic. Meanwhile, that stick dealers use to rake the chips is called a telescopic chip rake. This comes in various materials like plastic or metal but the latter brings out a more luxurious feel.
- The “pockets” on the wheel where the ball lands into are separated via what is called “frets.” Most frets are designed to be extra springy so that the ball bounces off more erratically. However, this setting lends more advantage to those who can easily spot a “loose fret” because it’s easier for them to predict the next winning pocket number.
- Speaking of winning pockets, there is a belief among roulette players that when a black number comes up, a red one is highly likely to result in the next spin. Such is not always the case. The truth is, the chance to hit the same color 10 times in a row is only 1 in 1024. There is only 1 incident in the history of roulette gaming where this amazing feat took place and it was in a casino in Bristol, England. The record: Red comes up 36 times in a row.
- More roulette winning records: the longest time where a single number hits consecutively is said to have happened at the Rio Casino in Las Vegas. The winning number came up 7 times in a row. The chances for it to occur? 1 in 3 billion. The lucky number? 19.
- With real money involved, it’s no wonder that plenty of people would devise illegal ways to beat the house. One of the famous roulette personalities to ever do it successfully is Francis Farrugia. He used what is called a “top-hatting” technique to win millions in roulette games over the course of 20 years before he was apprehended. This illegal method involves a cheat placing his bet after the ball has already landed.
- Roulette is probably the only game in a casino where players are shunned, discouraged, or prohibited to bring their drinks at the table. It is not known as to when or where this unwritten rule originated. But casino establishments do closely observe this etiquette that they tell their staff who brings complimentary drinks to revert their paths away from roulette tables. However, it’s a different story when playing in online roulette casinos because you can drink or eat whatever you want while in a game.